Monday, February 16, 2009

Things That Bump


so it's raining outside and dreary, but it doesn't bother me, in fact i wish it were raining much harder... it does put me in the mind of bright color though, probably the need to balance it all out. sameness seems to demand contrast, even of the violent sort, while raucous turmoil and intense and unrelenting contrast beckons some sort of soothing consistency...sometimes things that bump in the night are needed and even welcome, even in the day.

i'm not sure where this came from, i can see roots in "starry night", but it did offer a refreshing contrast to the rainy day outside...in stark contrast to my obsessively worked out pieces this one was free and easy...all the incredible life and movement that is going on in the night (and all around us any at time for that matter) that we are scarcely aware of...

"Night Movements" original digital print.

1 comment:

Sue Choppers-Wife said...

oh my...when I first saw this on my reader I thought you had taken coils of polymer clay and made this!!! It's very much like how I make my clay 'fabric' (although I didn't do an actual scene like this, but it's the same principle). I love this...have you been influenced by the Peace & Love gang? :D Bump in the night indeed!!!!